Following a meticulous comprehensive study of Maroubra Road, stretching from Bunnerong Road to Malabar Road, a series of intersection upgrades have been planned, in order to provide safer and more efficient routes for pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists.
The proposals are a result of extensive community engagement, incorporating valuable feedback from residents. Data collected through traffic counts, intersection surveys, traffic modelling, crash data analysis, and safety reviews have also played a pivotal role in shaping these improvements.
This holistic approach ensures that the upgrades are both data-driven and community-focused.
It’s important to note that the implementation of these upgrades will occur in stages, with timing contingent on community feedback, funding availability, and approval from Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW). This phased approach aims to ensure that the upgrades align with the evolving needs of Maroubra’s residents and commuters.
Intersection Upgrades Overview
Here are the specifics of the proposed intersection upgrades, each designed with a distinct rationale:
1. Bunnerong Road / Heffron Road
- Removal of slip lane
- Extension of right turn lane onto Bunnerong Road
2. Royal Street / Hinkler Street
- Introduction of new traffic lights with pedestrian crossings
- Creation of new turning lanes at traffic lights
3. Hannan Street
- Installation of new pedestrian crossings and refuges
- Implementation of left turn only from side streets
4. Walsh Avenue / Bruce Bennetts Place
- Removal of slip lane and addition of a new left turn lane
- Creation of a new shared zone
5. Anzac Parade
- Introduction of new left turn only lanes onto Anzac Parade
- Investigation of a 40km/h High Pedestrian Activity Area between Hannan and Garden Streets
6. Garden Street
- Upgrade of traffic lights for longer pedestrian crossing times and new turning arrows
- Introduction of new right turn lanes onto Maroubra Road
- Extension of the School Zone
7. Cooper Street / Mons Avenue (priority project)
- Installation of new traffic lights at the intersection with pedestrian crossings
- Creation of new turning lanes
8. Flower Street
- Relocation and upgrade of the existing pedestrian crossing
- Installation of a new roundabout
- Introduction of a new raised pedestrian crossing on Flower Street
- Installation of a wider median and realignment of parking and travel lanes between Mons Avenue and Flower Street
9. Malabar Road
- Upgrade of traffic lights
- Extension of merge lane and widening of the slip lane
- Improvement of footpaths
Community Feedback and Engagement
Randwick City Council values community input and invites residents and stakeholders to share their thoughts on the proposed upgrades. An opportunity to meet Council staff at a drop-in session on Tuesday, 6 Feb 2024, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Lionel Bowen Library in Maroubra Junction is also available.
Comments and feedback can be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Maroubra Road Intersection Upgrades.”